By Cedric Boeckx
This quantity brings jointly quite a few strands of study concentrating on features of the syntax of contract, and the function that contract performs in linguistic conception. The essays gathered right here convey how and why contract has emerged in recent times because the important theoretical build in minimalism. even though the theoretical context of the quantity is minimalist in personality, Boeckx formulates formal and sizeable universals within the area of agreement.
Read or Download Aspects of the Syntax of Agreement PDF
Best grammar books
This publication of supplementary grammar routines for effortless and reduce intermediate scholars of English accompanies the second one variation of crucial Grammar in Use. It encompasses a wealth of extra routines which offer scholars with additional perform of the grammar they've got studied. * presents difficult contrastive perform of the kinds scholars of this point locate such a lot tough.
This all-new consultant to english is designed to be user-friendly. Its cutting edge A-to-Z dictionary layout helps you to locate the solutions on your questions on grammar, punctuation, and most well-liked utilization speedy and easily. Simply lookup the matter components as you will search for a observe within the dictionary. It's simply that straightforward and time-saving.
The writer provides empirical arguments in prefer of a joint syntactico-semantic therapy, in the framework of a practical generative description, of a number adverbial expressions which can be considered as belonging to a unmarried, lexically heterogeneous yet functionally homogeneous, type showing scoping houses and functioning as ‘complementation of perspective’ (CA).
- Morphology and Language History: In Honour of Harold Koch
- Cognitive Poetics: Goals, Gains and Gaps (Applications of Cognitive Linguistics)
- Coreference, Modality, and Focus: Studies on the syntax-semantics interface (Linguistik Aktuell Linguistics Today)
- The English Verb (Longman Linguistics Library)
Extra resources for Aspects of the Syntax of Agreement
6. CONCLUSION I started by investigating some of the properties of raising predicates in Icelandic, concentrating on agreement patterns between the matrix finite verb and the nominative element in the embedded clause. , number) agreement takes place with nominative objects, given the fact that agreement with Quirky subjects take place. I was able to maintain (indeed, strengthen) the George and Kornfilt theory that agreement and Case are but one feature. At no point have I felt the need to resort to Agreement projections—a desirable result (cf.
Claiming that nominative Case may come from non-finite To won’t help, as there is no R-feature checking taking place with non-finite T-heads. Taking non-finite To to be the source of nominative Case on objects would go against the idea that has emerged in recent years (see Chomsky 2000 and Boeckx 2003a for references) that Case is a reflex of agreement. The only remaining possibility is vo. That vo may enter into K-feature checking is now standardly assumed for object agreement languages (see Chapter 4 for a clear example).
Fn. 17) is typical of [+human/+animate], which is best characterized in terms of [+person], rather than gender or number. [+Person] is intrinsic to humans, which might lead to a ‘correspondence rule’ of the type: dative person. , [+person] features, which might be said to encode Point-of-View ([+/– speaker], [+/– addressee]). Point-of-view has recently received some attention in the generative literature, and is now assumed to be represented structurally via some projection (or several such projections, see Rizzi 1997), be it FP (Uriagereka 1995a, 1995b), PolP (Culicover 1992), or 4P (Laka 1990), dominating IP.